Man tries to rob adult bookstore; admits to clerk he was "on coke" | Crime
A man who said he was high on cocaine tried to rob a downtown bookstore. Evansville Police say the suspect entered Booksmart at 519 North Main Street around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday and told the clerk he would "blow his head off".
Actually, police say, 'blow' may have led the man into the store, which is located next to the Lucky Lady.
A witness in the back of the shop heard the man demand money from the clerk and called police.
While trying to rob the store, the man told the clerk he was "****ed up on coke".
The clerk grabbed a nearby baseball bat and struck the man on the arm. The would-be robber then said he was going to get into his car and leave.
The suspect was last seen running southbound on North Main toward Virginia and then turning west. A K-9 unit couldn't track him and no vehicle was found.
Police are reviewing video surveillance footage of the incident and no money was taken.
Top North Side Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Busy east side Evansville road getting sign change
- Meth suspect found hiding in trash can in someone's garage
- Hungry? You'll be able to eat at a new East Side deli soon
- Evansville man accused of having several hundred images of child pornography
- Teachers combine for book to help kids be environmentally conscious