Vacant 1st Ave. & Diamond buildings being torn down | Business
Three long vacant buildings on First Avenue at Diamond are being torn down. Crews began the process of demolishing a small structure that most recently held public auctions and another which used to house a Hills department store, then a Venture in the 1990s and briefly, a Shopko.
Another served as a Buy-Low that was attached to a strip mall once home to a Chinese restaurant and auto parts store, among other businesses. All are slated to be flattened within the coming days according to the current owner.
The structures occupy a large parcel of land and the developer tells 14 News that they hope getting rid of the buildings will entice another developer to buy the property, which has been devoid of regular tenants for several years.
Top North Side Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Busy east side Evansville road getting sign change
- Meth suspect found hiding in trash can in someone's garage
- Hungry? You'll be able to eat at a new East Side deli soon
- Evansville man accused of having several hundred images of child pornography
- Teachers combine for book to help kids be environmentally conscious